Saturday, September 16, 2017

Surgeries, Shakes, and Superman

Yeah last week was kinda crazy. Ok so this week... 

 1.) We went to the hospital, because my companion had an ingrown toenail and they had to take it out. That´s actually a super common thing in this mission. You see a missionary in tennis shoes and you know exactly what happened. So yeah so we were there and I was super duper bored in the room with my companion. I didn´t want to watch- they had to take the whole toenail out. It was actually one of the grosser things I think I´ve ever seen. They basically gave him a bunch of shots in the toe and then ripped it out with some pliers. My companion wasn´t feeling too good, he had to leave with crutches.

So we left and as we were walking through the hospital a lady stopped us and wanted a blessing for her husband who was about to go into surgery. He was an older guy- he explained to us that he had been baptised but had a bunch of time not going to church, more than twenty years, and that his wife and none of his kids were members. So we gave the blessing and left the wife with a pamphlet (i think thats how you spell pamphlet?) that had our phone number on the back. So we left the hospital and went to go do something- I can´t remember what. I think that was the day we went out to progreso to leave some new phones. I can´t remember, but it´s not relevant to the story. 

So like 2 days later the wife calls and tells us her husband died in the operation, but she had felt good about what we had said in the blessing. She wanted us to visit her. So we did and she turned out to be super cool. She was sad about her husband dying, but she moved on super well. She made us some dinner and we taught her and two of her adult kids. Pretty good, we´ll see of they show up to church tomorrow. 
__________________________________________ 

Nicole and her mom are doing really well. Her mom accepted a baptismal date for next month, she still needs some time, but I think she will be ready. She was already really prepared a long time ago by other missionaries. She knows all of it is true. 

One of the best things to have is members who go above and beyond to help. I never really thought to greet the people the missionaries bring to church, but I think I always will now. It makes them feel really good, and they are a lot more likely to keep coming if people seem welcoming. 

I´m pretty excited to see what Ukraine is like. But for now I´m pretty happy here. The time´s going really fast. When I leave the office I´ll only have 7 1/2 months left! Boy I gotta make the most of it huh? 

I don´t know what Ukraine´s like, but here you can actually find some pretty good ice cream. I´m a big fan of the Costa Rican brand "dos pinos." 

My costa rican companion (also named Elder Reyes) really like to brag about how good it was. It is pretty good, but it´s not a blue bell or an eddys. The thing is here, I can´t find a good milkshake. There´s lots of Wendy´s and Burger King´s. Not a lot of McDonalds here, but they can´t make a good one either! Pretty crazy. 

They don´t have a whole ton of variety in their fruits and vegtables here. I think it´s pretty rare when we eat something thats not beans, eggs, and tortillas. Recently, they´ve started giving us lots of avocados. I´m not a huge fan... I thought they were fine, but they´re served to us a little too ripe, and so they´re kinda mushy. Hondurans eat things kinda weird. In no other country do they eat the green bananas. Just here. Not even the closeby countrys like Guatemala or El Salvador. 

I don´t think I´ve gotten any taller, I think everybody´s short here. And my companions a pretty short guy though, so it´s even more drastic the difference. 

Did you like Superman? I really like that movie.
And now for a brief synopsis of Superman (I may be mixing the movies up they all blur together) 

Superman: I¨m an naked baby who can lift cars! 

Superman´s parents: .... 

Lex Luthor: Kryptonite hahaha 

Superman: Dangit 

Lois Lane: Oh no... the most dangerous villian of all... Dirt! Bleh I´m dead now 

Superman: I know- I´ll just go back in time and fix everything. nbd 

And... Scene 

I love you guys! 
-Elder Stoddard

No comments:

Post a Comment