Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Green Fruit and Other Observations

[from September 27, 2017]

Lots of things grow here... they do eat regular bananas, it´s just really common here to eat them green. They just peel it and then boil it and put in on a plate, with rice and beans and chicken or something like that. And most of the best bananas are shipped to the United States. Another thing that they really like to eat here is cabbage. Lots and lots of cabbage. You wouldn´t think that would you? Every once in a while I´ll see a carrot or a zuchini, but those things are kinda rare. Coconuts are pretty common, limes are pretty common (although I haven´t seen a lemon since the United states). Apples and grapes are really expensive in grocery stores and not too good looking. Oranges are pretty rare to find, like the color orange I mean, there are plenty of green oranges that aren´t ripe yet. Mangos too, and they also eat them before they´re ripe here. It´s a custom to eat them with salt to counter act the sourness of the orange or mango you´re eating that isn´t ripe yet. It´s a common joke between missionaries that all of honduras breaks the word of wisdom because it says to eat "every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving." And green bananas are definitely not in season. 


Eating with the West Mission´s secretaries

I think (in hindsight) one of the biggest lessons I learned at Wegmans was how to deal with lots of people and also how to keep myself from getting mad. I think that kinda customer service kinda thing has helped me lots in the mission, even though it was one of the things that I hated at the time haha. 

There are lots of missionaries who finish and stop doing as much because they know they´re about to finish and what´s the point? 

The office (the secretaries and the AP´s) live in a really big house and in a residential neighborhood. So we just run half mile loops in the neighborhood. This morning we actually broke a six minute mile, but usually we run 3 or 4 miles everyday. That´s what made running just 2 laps feel like nothing today.

With my companion's toe surgery, I didn´t want to watch, but I did anyways. It was one of those things like "oh how horrible, that´s disgusting" *continues watching.* But don´t worry, I´m trying to take really good care of my feet. I think it´s because my companion has some dress shoes that are really pointy at the front part. The kinda nice thing though is that he got to walk around in crocks everywhere. 

The last time I had changes I had to come from the Ceiba to San Pedro, and they told me the day before. I spent a long time searching for another suitcase to put my stuff in, and then when I got off the bus here in san pedro, the wheels fell off the suitcase! I was so mad. The first time I had changes I stayed up really late putting all my things into the suitcase. Yeah to tell you the truth, lots of times I feel like I forgot things, and lots of times I actually DID forget something. A couple days ago I was going to go pick up the pillows at a store called Diunsa for the new missionaries that are coming. We had already gone to pay for them, but I forgot the receipt in the house, so we just had to pick them up yesterday. 

We´ve been back to the lady´s house, her adult kids went to church last week, but she didn´t. We´ve still got lots of work in front of us with them. Lots of Word of Wisdom problems, but I have high hopes for them! Nicole is super good. She´s been leaving a lot with the sister missionaries in the ward, and I think she´s learning a lot because she´s starting to help us lots in the lessons with her mom (Cynthia). 

I love you guys! 

-Elder Stoddard

No comments:

Post a Comment