Saturday, July 14, 2018

The Cleanest House in the Mission (3/5)

[from March 5, 2018]

Hey Mom,

I think you`re gonna love my comp! He`s great at taking pictures of everything. I`ve gotten in to the habit of leaving my camara at home, but he takes his everywhere. Maybe it`s cause he`s new in the mission and in Sabà it`s a lot less likely that you`ll get robbed. 

Yeah everyone talks about Roatàn. There are 4 missionaries there, everyone wants to go there, but the guys who have been say it`s awful for the work because it`s a really vacationy spot. 

sabà has been awesome so far. i really enjoy it. i don`t know if this will be my favorite area, but there are definitely some things i really like about it. 

I wouldn`t say people here are poorer. There are plenty of poor people in San Pedro too. It`s diffeent because it`s so far away from everywhere else. The closest place is Sonaguera and it`s kinda far to come here as well. Not a lot of shops and stuff to do like in San Pedro. The only restaurants are baleada stands and fried chicken places (which exist in all of honduras.) You definitly want to try the green bananas the lack of flavor is amazing! It`s like eating lettuce but in the shape of a banana. Baleadas you`re gonna have to try though. They are the famous honduran food. But yeah I am loving it. 

This district is so awesome. We are two weeks in a row with the highest number of new investigators in the mission! I am really proud of these guys, they are giving it their all. Changes are coming up in a week... I hope nobody goes! 

I don`t know if dad commented to you ( i told him in spanish) but we`re teaching seminary here! We`re teaching book of mormon. We have 2 member youth and 5 more non members who come. I remember how much of a pain it was to get up in the morning when I was at home, and I admire these kids for doing that too! It is awesome. Even though we`re in an extension we have an awesome youth program haha.  

The chair tower was fun. I was bored and made a little chair tower and my companion (who`s 24) laughed and said "oh how immature of you, sometimes i forget you`re only 19 but then quickly embraced the idea and we constructed a huge chair tower. Yeah, we`re working really hard here and progress is kinda slow, but we have some baptisms coming up if everything goes accoring to plan. 

We might have the cleanest house in the mission, because we clean everyday for seminary and for the church meetings. Only Saturday and Monday we don`t haha.

yesteday we had a good number of people come to church. the bishop of the sonaguera ward came and it was really nice. the only thing i didn`t love was that he gave us a hard time about the number of people who came (and it was way higher than it had ever been before here!) 

My companion has a speaker that plays from a usb drive. I downloaded some hymns to use of sunday onto my thumb drive and that`s what we use. Our phone is not good enough at all to play songs.

it was weird to not preside and conduct the meeting like i`ve done the last two weeks. here the missionaries really do lots! i`m liking the extension life here, i`ll be ready for the branch in ukraine. 

if all goes well, we should be having some baptisms here before too long. We have a family that we`re trying to get married at all costs. They`ve both accepted-we just need money aagghh. But if all goes according to plan they should be ready in the next week or two- nothing ever goes according to plan though. It`s a good thing that everything that could go wrong already did with Jesus and Nelda, so I`ve got some experience to draw on! 

i would love to take some kind of spanish test when i get home to see how i do... i`m sure i`m lacking a lot, but i think i`ve gotten to a pretty good level. my companion isn`t as good at correcting me as my last companion, and i notice myself sometimes when i make little mistakes. the good thing though, is i can practice with you when i get home so i don`t get too rusty. 

i have a long list of songs i`m gonna listen to too, so be ready to listen to some regaeton! (nope they`re pretty dirty) miles and i were just chatting about some of the music here haha. My companion really likes kumba, but to be honest can`t get into it. It`s an uruguay thing. 

the other day at a members house the kids were watching a show called milo murphy which is made by the same guys that make phineas and ferb. it seemed pretty cool and the drawing style looked axactly the same. the episodes at the beggining are the best! 

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a great movie. Indiana Jones is so cool. Don`t watch the 4th one though... ever it`s awful. How can you survive a nuclear blast in the shelter of a refigerator? Some stuff straight out of a chuck norris movie. 

Can I tell you something? I don`t even use a fan anymore to sleep. My companion does, but I am so used to being hot, and I get cold with the fan now. How crazy is that? 

I love you guys and have a great week. If anybody gets online in the next couple minutes, we can chat!

-Elder Stoddard

No comments:

Post a Comment